Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Couple of Couplets . . .


A few days ago I could not stop listening to David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars". I had just gotten some 30th anniversary edition w/ all kinds of extra tracks bells & whistles. And for days that was all I could listen to non-stop towards the end of it I kept trying to listen to other things . . . electric Mils Davis . . . Bill Fay . . . but nothing would take, I kept having to go back to the Bowie.

When this happens w/ me I'll get various snatches of lyrics stuck in my head playing in a loop over and over. The Main one that was afflicting me from the "Ziggy Stardust" album was from the chorus of "Moonage Daydream":



Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head



Finally today out of nowhere I found something else to listen to obsessively, Faust's "Faust IV" and for now in particular the song "Jennifer" so I went from moonage daydream mumbo jumbo to deep a S P A C E R O C K dirge w/ a lyric that is only two lines* repeated over and over:


Jennifer, your red hair's burning
Yellow jokes come out of your mind



. . . Paging Dr. Hoffman!?!




* And a line of near subliminal doggerel in the middle of the song that is driving me crazier b/c I can't quite make it out and I haven't been able to find out what is anywhere on the web!!!



No comments: