Thursday, December 06, 2007

Ne Travaillez Jamais

"A Girl With A Leika" snapped by the Leica of Alexander Rodchenko


Some pictures and quotes, the products of a day and a half of television and internet drifting. Like any other day and a half just w/ a little something to show for it - of course for no particular reason.




"Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to realize his wishes. Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish." - Bertrand Russell byway of William Carlos Williams



"Suicide carried off many. Drink and the devil took care of the rest." - Robert Louis Stevenson byway of Guy Debord byway of Richard Linklater from his film "Waking Life"




"A functioning police state needs no police." - William S. Burroughs





I keep thinking what did I do before obsessively looking at the same dozen or so blogs all day and night and of course before the gloriousness that is Wikipedia?

. . . Oh yeah, obsessively download music.



2 comments:

Bone said...

That WCW quote is the shit. (I seem to recall reading that it's actually from Bertrand Russell, but I could be wrong.) You should really check out The Desert Music by Steve Reich (particularly the recording by Alarm Will Sound); he sets a couple of chunks from "The Orchestra" by WCW to music in there.

tom nihilist said...

Yeah, that is a great quote, it's one I knew and then forgot and then stumbled over it the other day again when I happened to also be all post-y. I'll have to check out the Bertrand Russell connection, it really does sound more like him than Williams.

As for "The Desert Music", that was the first piece by Reich that I ever got. I found it used and in the booklet to the disc there was a ticket stub and a press clipping for that production of it, it made me a little sad but also I took it as a good sign. When I bought it I didn't know that the text was Williams. Anyway that's still one of my favorite Reich pieces right up there w/ "Different Trains" which always makes me cry. I'm not sure who is doing the couple of versions of "The Desert Music" that I have but I'll check that out and be on the lookout for the one you mentioned, thanks.